This premium chair adds a lot to a workspace.
Ever since I started working from home last March, I have found myself sitting for nearly 12 hours a day. After my standard 9-5 workday is through, I usually spend another 4-5 hours at my desk after that in the evening writing reviews. When I was working outside the house, there were more opportunities for me to get up and walk from office to office. Now, I communicate with my co-workers virtually and stay seated behind my computer the entire day. Even though I try to take breaks from sitting throughout the day, I still end up spending most of my day in a chair. Therefore, one of the most important parts of my home office in my chair. I recently swapped out my desk chair for the X3 -HMT ATR Mgmt Chair to hopefully help with the recurring back pain that I have. So far, it’s been a great addition to my workspace.
The X3 -HMT ATR Mgmt Chair is made by X-Chair. This chair incorporates the same features as the X2 model, but it now has the Advanced Tensile Recovery (ATR) fabric throughout the chair. It’s designed to provide enhanced support and comfort. In comparison to traditional fabrics, ATR has more give and spring so that it contours better to the back. It’s also water, spill, and stain-resistant. In addition to the material used to cover the chair, the seat features 10 ergonomic adjustments including:
- Dynamic Variable Lumbar (DVL) Support: The DVL Support intuitively adjusts itself to your body every time you move. Responding to your weight, height, position, and the amount of pressure you place on it, the DVL Support pivots with you, keeping you comfortable and supported even as you change positions throughout the day.
- SciFloat Infinite Recline: SciFloat Infinite Recline facilitates motion throughout your day. Movement increases circulation, concentration, and energy levels & everything you need to boost both comfort and productivity in your workspace.
- Tilt Tension & Tilt Lock: Adjust the tilt tension to change the amount of resistance you feel as you recline. Lock the chair in a reclined position for those times you need to put your feet up.
- Height-Adjustable Backrest: X-Chair’s independently adjustable backrest lets your raise the dynamic variable lumbar support to fit the curve of your back. Bring the dynamic variable lumbar support to a comfortable position and relax while it supports the natural shape of your spine.
- Adjustable Seat Height: Easily adjust the seat height so your feet rest flat on the ground and your knees are at a 90⁰ angle.
- Adjustable Seat Depth: An improper seat depth puts undue pressure on the veins and lymph nodes behind your knee, and often leads to poor circulation, leg cramps, or your legs falling asleep. At a proper seat depth, your lower back should be against the dynamic variable lumbar support and you should be able to fit 2 to 3 fingers between the edge of your seat and the backs of your knees.
- Adjustable Headrest Height: X-Chair’s headrest is height adjustable, so no matter your proportions you get to adjust the whole chair to fit you like a glove.
- Adjustable Headrest Angle: Your head and neck do not stay in the same place all day, so neither should your headrest. Easily adjust the angle of X-Chair’s headrest to find comfort no matter what position you want to sit in.
- 4-Dimensional Arms: Armrests adjust forward and back, side-to-side, up and down, and pivot to an angle.
- Premium Mesh, ATR & Leather: X2’s K-Sport advanced performance material features a tighter mesh weave for a softer feel. X3 introduces Advanced Tensile Recovery (ATR) fabric, a unique spacer weave designed for extra support and weight distribution. The X4 is covered in supple, ultra-comfortable premium leather or extraordinary Brisa® – from Japan, the softest, most durable, most breathable fabric ever made. Each fabric comes in a variety of colors.
*Information pulled from xchair.com.
Finally, the “HMT” within the product name stands for Heat, Massage, and Therapy. The X-Chair has the option to add on the massage feature when a user is customizing his or her order. This added feature provides many health benefits including increased blood flow, speeding muscle recovery, and reducing stress and anxiety. The massage cycle can be either constant or variable with 2 levels of intensity (gentle or powerful). In addition to the massage, users can enjoy a heated therapy session, too.
The X3 -HMT ATR Mgmt Chair comes in a large box and does require assembly. Unlike some other chairs I’ve assembled, the X-Chair has a few additional steps. The main parts of the chair include the back, the seat, the arms, the headrest, the wheels, the 5-star wheelbase, and the hydraulic piston. Before I started assembling the chair, I laid all the pieces out to ensure that I had them all. The chair is heavy and even though one person can put it together on their own, it’s much easier to put together with two people. The other thing that I discovered was that the instructions requested that the user put the wheels on the base first. That’s something I’m used to doing last.
While all the chair parts are beautifully designed, the wheels seem like they don’t quite fit the rest of the chair. The exterior of them is plastic instead of metal. The stem of the wheel is metal, but it doesn’t seem to be heavy-duty. X-Chair does offer different types of wheels, but the standard one that ships with the chair just doesn’t seem like a good fit with the rest of the premium quality materials used to make the X-Chair. The wheels snap into the base easily enough, but I did notice that there is a small gap between the base of the wheel and where it inserts into the base. This doesn’t seem to affect the operation of the chair, but it was different from other chair assemblies I’ve completed.
Once all the wheels are inserted into the base, you will place the hydraulic piston into the center of the base and then place the seat onto the piston. Next, the arms will be screwed into place and finally attach the back onto the seat. The headrest is optional, but it would be the last item to be placed if you choose to add it on. As mentioned above, I opted to include the HMT feature on this chair. The heated massage element is pre-installed into the lumbar area of the chair back. It is rechargeable, which is a great benefit to me. I hate having cables strewn around so knowing I can use the HMT feature without it being tethered to a power cord is wonderful.
After getting the chair assembled, I used the chair and assessed it based on how comfortable it was for me and how well the features worked. As far as comfort goes, it takes some getting used to. I really like the mesh material, but at first, it’s a little stiff. I did notice that it loosens up just a bit so that it can form to your body structure. Once you get the chair set-up for your personal comfort, it really does a great job of reducing aches and pains from every day seated work. The only thing I will comment on is how narrow the seat is. I’m a bigger person and for me, the seating area was just too narrow. There is an extended seat option that can be selected when ordering, but I didn’t get that option. I mention this so that others will know what to expect from the X3’s size.
The HMT feature is really cool. As I mentioned, it is wireless and it’s easy to control. The buttons can be reached simply by reaching around the backside of the chair. I really enjoyed having that kind of options built-in because usually I’ll place a heating pad behind me and now I don’t have to.
The X-Chair really has a lot going for it. It has some truly advanced features and with the exception of its wheels, the materials that are used to assemble the chair are premium in nature. The X3 -HMT ATR Mgmt Chair retails for around $1100 (at the time of publishing) the way that I had it specked out. It’s a very exclusive chair and I think worth the investment. I’ve only had it for a few weeks so I can’t say how well it will work in the long-term, but I can say that I’ve noticed it helping me with general aches from a day of sitting behind my desk.