Satechi USB4 Multiport Adapter W/2.5G Ethernet 2023 REVIEW
The form and function of this dock is very suitable for a portable workspace. The price is a little higher than some other options, but since this adapter includes the latest technologies, it will certainly have more longevity than other adapters.
- EASE OF USE
Boost your Connectivity with the Satechi USB4 Multiport Adapter
Technology is constantly evolving, with new and innovative devices coming out all the time. With these new devices comes the need for adapters to connect them all in order to get the most out of your technology. No longer do we have to struggle with outdated methods of connection, now we can easily link our devices together through adapters such as the Satechi USB4 Multiport Adapter W/2.5G Ethernet.
About Satechi USB-4 Multiport Adapter
The Satechi USB-4 Multiport Adapter was designed to add greater connectivity to workspaces than other dock connector options. The adapter features next-generation USB-4 protocols and provides upgraded bandwidth management, which allows files to be accessed faster. The device is suitable for a wide range of products including the latest versions of the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, Mac mini, and iMac. It is also compatible with devices running Android and Windows operating systems.
- 40 GBPS USB-4 → Next-generation USB-4 technology provides a total bandwidth distribution of 40Gbps for upgraded video quality, data transfer rates up to 10Gbps, and backwards compatibility with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C devices.
- 2.5G ETHERNET → 2.5x faster than 1Gbps Gigabit Ethernet and backward compatible with 10/100/1000Mbps, enjoy high-speed, reliable connection up to 2.5 Gbps.
- BRILLIANT 8K HDMI → Features ultra-hi-res 8K HDMI output for stunning display whether you are working, streaming, or gaming – with a refresh rate up to 60Hz. Requires direct HDMI connection. Note: macOS supports up to 4k 60Hz.
- ALL THE PORTS YOU NEED → Includes all the ports you need for your work or home setup, with 8K HDMI, 2.5G Ethernet, 2 x USB-C 3.2 Gen2 10Gbps (one of them supports PD charging up to 100W), USB-A data up to 10 Gbps, and an audio-in port.
- COMPATIBLE DEVICES: MacBook Air/Pro 13-inch M1 & M2, 2021 MacBook Pro 14-inch, 16-inch (M1 Pro & Max), 2020/2019/2018/2017/2016 MacBook Pro, 2020/2018 MacBook Air, 2021/2018 iPad Pro, 2022/2020 iPad Air, Mac mini M1, iMac M1, 2019/2017 iMac, iMac Pro, 2015/2016/2017 MacBook, Microsoft Surface Laptop 3/Surface Pro 7/Go, Google PixelBook Go, ChromeBook, Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S, HP Spectre Convertible, Razer Blade, Huawei Matebook and more USB-C devices
- HDMI 2.1 – up to 8K/60Hz (4K/60Hz on Mac)
- USB-A 3.2 – up to 10Gbps (No Charging/Video Output)
- USB-C 3.2 – up to 10Gbps & 100W PD (No Video Output)
- USB-C 3.2 – up to 10Gbps (No Charging/Video Output)
- Audio Jack – USB 2.0
- Ethernet – 2.5 Gigabit
- Important Notes:
- USB-C charging feature supports devices with USB PD protocol 2.0 and higher
- HDMI port supports only devices with DisplayPort over USB-C w/ Alt Mode
- USB-A ports do not support charging or CD readers, including Apple SuperDrive
- Operating temperature is 86-122°F
- CONNECTOR TYPE: USB4
- MODEL NO / UPC: ST-U4MGEM / 810086360512
Pricing & Availability
The USB-4 Multiport has a list price of $149.99 and is available for purchase on satechi.net and Amazon. Users can choose to use Shop Pay (Affirm) on satechi.net to purchase the Multiport Adapter on a no-interest installment plan.
The USB-4 Multiport Adapter comes in a simple Satechi retail box. The front of the package has an image of the product and the back provides basic details about the different ports that are included. Once you open the package, the adapter is enclosed in a cardboard insert and there is an illustrated manual included. The adapter features plug-n-play functionality and there is no special software to download for use.
One of the first things I noticed about the adapter was its size, shape, and weight. I love that the adapter has a built-in USB-C cable extension that is flexible. It makes the adapter that much more portable. The device is also very lightweight. According to its specs, it only weighs 2.39oz. Many multiport adapters weigh more than that.
I also like that it only has the essential ports on it. There are a lot of adapters that try to jam as much as possible onto it, but this one just has the bare minimum for what someone needs to connect to external devices. I just got back from a long weekend trip and this would have been a great choice to have with me.
I’ve noticed that this adapter doesn’t get too warm while it’s in use. The bottom doesn’t really have a vent that goes all the way through to the components, the indention does seem to provide some airflow.
The USB-4 Multiport Adapter uses the latest technology. not only does the adapter provide USB-4 connectivity, but it also gives the user advanced internet speeds and HDMI connection to external monitors. I’ve seen a lot of adapters that only provide one or two updated ports. This one has all of them.
As far as functionality goes, I tested the main functions in a couple of different ways. For each of these tests I used a 2020 MacBook Air (M1). The adapter was plugged directly into the laptop.
- Data Transfer: Satechi claims that the USB-A and USB-C ports will transfer data up to 10Gbps. I plugged a Flash Drive into the USB-A port first. This particular flash drive was only USB 3.1 so I was only going to be able to get up to 5Gbps. Since both ends of the flash drive are USB 3.1 they ended up having approximately the same data transfer speed (59.5 MB/s Write / 152.7 MB/s Read).
- Power Delivery: As far as power delivery goes, I noticed that the USB-4 Adapter was able to power my laptop efficiently.
- Ethernet Speed: Our home internet service is 1GB cable internet. When I used Ookla Speed Test to see what the WiFi speeds were, I got a result of 791.27 Mbps Up / 38.88 Mbps Down. After I plugged in the Ethernet cable to the adapter, I was able to increase that speed to 912.44 Mbps Up / 40.24 Mbps Down.
- HDMI: I was able to connect successfully to a 4K monitor and while 8K really isn’t a standard yet, it’s nice to know that this adapter is future-proofed.
The Satechi USB4 Multiport Adapter W/2.5G Ethernet is essential for any tech enthusiast looking to take their devices to the next level. This powerful and innovative adapter provides users with a variety of functions, making it the perfect addition to any tech setup. With the ability to connect multiple displays and transfer data at lightning-fast speeds, this product is sure to revolutionize how people use their devices. It is a little on the pricey side at $150 but I like it’s form and functionality enough to use it in place of other docks.