SanDisk Professional PRO-READER SD and microSD
The SanDisk Professional PRO-READER SD and microSD is a must-have accessory for anyone looking for a stable, safe way to transfer data. This versatile reader allows users to quickly and easily transfer photos, videos, music, and more between their devices with a simple plug-and-play connection.
- EASE OF USE
PRO-READER gives you super speed and professional-grade performance for your data transfer needs.
In today’s digital world, media-rich devices such as DSLR cameras, drones, and phones have become essential tools for creating and sharing content. Since many of these devices now record in a super-high quality video resolution, such as 4K UHD, using a professional-grade card reader can offer a range of benefits that can save time and improve reliability. Whether you’re a professional photographer or an amateur enthusiast, having access to the right tools is essential for your workflow. The PRO-READER from SanDisk Professional is a great example of the right tool for the right job.
About SanDisk PRO-READER
The SanDisk PRO-READER SD and microSD is one of the professional-grade card readers that work with both Windows and macOS computers using 5 Gb/s USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 interface. The card readers feature compatibility with SanDisk QuickFlow technology (optimization of the SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I SD and microSD card performance; minimizes downtime with high-speed offloads). The reader is built with a premium aluminum enclosure that keeps the entire device and cards cool while in use. The PRO-READER also has a write-protect lock switch installed to help prevent users from overwriting data on cards that are in use.
In addition to reviewing the PRO-READER, I also took a look at three of SanDisk’s memory cards that are compatible with the reader device → Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card (256GB), Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I Card (256GB), Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Card (1TB).
- Media Card Reader → 1 x SDXC (UHS-I [104 MB/s]), 1 x microSDXC (UHS-I [104 MB/s])
- System Connection → USB Type-C Female [USB 3.1 / 3.2 Gen 1 (5 Gb/s)]
- Power Source → USB Bus Power
- Operating Temperature → 32 to 95º F / 0 to 35º C
- Enclosure Material → Aluminum
- LED Indicators → Yes
- Dimensions (W x H x D) → 2.36 x 0.75 x 4.54”
- Weight → 4.2 oz
Pricing & Availability
The Professional PRO-READER and memory cards are available to purchase from a number of online retailers including westerndigital.com, B&H Photo, and Amazon. All prices are the advertised list price from Western Digital.
- SanDisk PRO-READER SD and microSD → $49.99
- SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card 256GB → $39.99
- SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I Card 256GB → $59.99
- SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Card 1TB → $139.99
The PRO-READER comes in a pretty standard SanDisk box. This packaging is slightly different than other SanDisk retail boxes since it’s part of their professional-grade product line. The box is white and a stunning photo of the product is included on the front. Specs are highlighted on the side of the box as well as the back. The card reader is enclosed inside cardboard in the box so that it doesn’t shift around when the box is moved. It comes with a small illustrated user guide and a pamphlet about technical support, safety, and warranty information. The card reader comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable for connection to your computer.
My setup is a little different than some since my main computer is a laptop. I run a 2020 MacBook Air with an M1 processor. The laptop has limited I/O ports (2 x Thunderbolt 3/USB-C) so I have it connected to a docking station (Kensington SD5600T Hybrid Dock) so that I can use an external monitor as well as other peripherals. The USB-C port on the front of the dock provides up to 10Gbps data transfer speed. Since that was in line with the PRO-READER’s specs, this was the port I decided to connect to.
As I mentioned earlier in the article, I had three memory cards from SanDisk to test out with this reader — Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card, Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I Card, and Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Card. I ran each of these cards through a series of tests to validate the data transfer speed rating listed for the cards’ specs. As a basis for comparison, I ran tests #2 and #3 on the PRO-READER and another Multi-Card Reader by Xcellon. Both the card readers were rated for USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 performance.
- AJA System Test Lite → This app is designed to provide accurate and detailed evaluations of disk speed/drive performance in reference to video recording and playback activity. Since each of the cards was rated to handle 4K UHD video resolutions, I set the testing standard to 3840×2160 Ultra HD with a test file size of 64GB and a Canon RAW codec type. I only ran this test on the PRO-READER.
- Blackmagic Speed Test → This tool is used to quickly assess disk performance and how it will perform with various video codecs. The output of this test is a quick read/write speed based on a specific test load size. For these memory cards, I set the load to 5GB.
- Drag-n-Drop Test → For this test, I select a group of files or a folder from my computer to copy over to the selected drive/disk. In this case, I found a folder that was 4.11GB in size and had mixed media included.
The image below shows the test results. In each instance, the PRO-READER beat the Xcellon card reader. When it came to the overall data transfer rate, the PRO-READER was more than 47% faster than the Xcellon card reader for each card. Keep in mind, I used the same port on the dock and each card reader was rated for up to 10Gbps of data transfer speed. Each of the SanDisk cards had a disclaimer on their package that reads: Compatible with SanDisk Professional PRO-READER SD and microSD to achieve stated read speeds. This was the main reason I wanted to compare the tests on a second card reader with similar specs.
The SanDisk Professional PRO-READER SD and microSD Card Reader is an efficient, cost-effective device that can be used for both professional and personal use. With its high-speed performance capabilities and multiple card compatibility options, it provides users with an easy way to quickly transfer data from memory cards to a computer or other media device. Additionally, its USB 3.2 connection ensures a seamless connection between the reader and the host computer.