Remotely operated underwater vehicle brings 4K recording and 1080p livestreaming to consumers and professionals with advanced stabilization technology
Navatics, an expert in underwater robotics, today announced the pre-sale of Navatics MITO, a remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) equipped with advanced active stabilization technology that provides new levels of underwater video steadiness in an affordable, 6.6 lbs. underwater drone. Available starting at the affordable super early bird price of $1,199, Navatics MITO offers aquatic videography for all.
As the market for underwater drones is growing rapidly, Navatics MITO provides a professional-quality and easy-to-pilot underwater drone to videographers, divers, hobbyists, fishers, adventurers and conservationists for both personal and professional uses. You can see Navatics MITO in action and examples of its footage here.
“With Navatics MITO, our goal is to create an underwater drone with the ability to stream high-quality video and maneuver with maximum stability to get the best footage,” said Andreas Widy, CEO of Navatics. “We want to provide this professional level experience, so that anyone from the hobbyist consumer to the professional videographer can experience the marine world without limitation.”
An Underwater Look at Navatics MITO
The perfect companion for any underwater exploration, Navatics MITO is designed to fit airline specifications for carry-on luggage for easy transport, while also being highly maneuverable in any corner of the ocean. Navatics MITO is attached to a floating tether to transmit controls precisely and accurately to the drone deep underwater, where normal wireless controller signals can’t reach. The underwater drone boasts capabilities to capture 4K video at 30 fps and can be used to explore depths of up to 130 ft.
Leveraging Navactics’ advanced active stabilization algorithm, Navatics MITO can “hover” and keep its orientation even in complex underwater currents for up to four hours. Its four thrusters make it highly maneuverable and allow it to tilt up and down to 45-degree angles while maintaining its depth, heading and orientation at speeds of up to two meters per second (around 4 knots). Two 1000 lumen LED lights also give excellent vision and illumination underwater, providing better colors on video and images.
Navatics MITO is piloted by a remote controller which also has a grip on a smartphone. Through the accompanying mobile app available for both iOS and Android, users have flexibility to stream video up to 500 meters (1,640 ft.) away at 1080p resolution. In addition, the app has built-in tools for color correction and the ability to share images and video directly to social media. With Navatics MITO, both professional videographers and novices can capture and share beautiful content in moments.
Multiple Navatics MITO Missions
More than just a filming device, Navatics MITO is also a valuable tool for divers, conservationists, and fishers. Before venturing into a new area, Navatics MITO can survey areas to identify the layout of a reef, cave or lake to identify potentials dangers or points of interest. This saves both time and prevents potential risks when exploring underwater.
Navatics MITO is also a useful maintenance tool for boat and yacht owners, able to carry out hull inspections and spot problems before they become major issues.
The full specifications of Navatics MITO include:
- Components: Navatics MITO, a tether floatation, and a remote controller
- Stability: Advanced four-axis active stabilization algorithm
- Weight: 3 kg / 6.6 lbs. (including battery)
- Dimensions: 360mm x 300mm x 135mm / 14” x 12” x 5”
- Mobility: Equipped with four thrusters enabling it to tilt up and down to 45° angles while holding its depth, heading, and orientation
- Recording / Images: 4K video recording up to 30 fps (mp4) and 8 MP still images (JPEG)•Video Transmission: 1080 HD at 30 fps live video within 500 m / 1640 ft. (powered by Senseplay)
- Storage: 64GB Micro SD card•Depth: maximum 40 m / 135ft.
- Tether Length: 50 m / 165 ft.
- Tether floatation: 4-hours runtime, equipped with a solar panel to extend the duration of usage
- Speed: Up to 2 meters per second / 4 knots
- Interchangeable batteries: 80Wh, providing a minimum 2 hour run time•Lighting: 2 1000 lumen LED lights
- App: Available for both iOS and Android
- Color Correction: Integrated into smartphone app for easy correction
- Social Sharing: Share directly to Instagram, Facebook, and WeChat
Pricing & Availability
Navatics MITO is available for pre-sale on Kickstarter with super early bird pricing starting at an accessible $1,199, which includes the drone with a 4K camera, one battery, a remote controller that attaches to a smartphone, and a 50-meter (165 ft.) tether. It will begin shipping in September 2018.