Do you think drone technology sounds esoteric? This article will take you through the drone tech knowledge that you should know, enhancing your confidence in your aerial journey.
The Principle and Importance of Compass Calibration
Drone compass calibration uses magnetic fields to enable the compass to determine direction. It allows the drone to identify the direction of the heading and thus know the direction of flight. It is recommended to recalibrate before each takeoff.
If the compass is disturbed, the following serious consequences may occur:
- The direction of the drone heading is different from the remote controller’s actual operation, which may result in discrepancies, such as the drone deviating from its intended forward flight direction.
- The drone cannot be controlled and keeps flying in circles after taking off. The radius of the flying circle increases with the level of interference
- ‘One Button Return to Home’ may malfunction, resulting in inaccurate return and deviation from the intended return direction, which could potentially cause it to be lost.
- If the interference is serious, the drone will fly erratically after takeoff and become uncontrollable by the remote controller; if the drone is close to metal, parking garages, magnetic fields (signal towers, high-voltage lines), electronic equipment, etc., interference will increase.
If the compass encounters interference, you should manually control the aircraft to land in time, recalibrate the compass, and try to stay away from environments with interference.
Drones have the following four signals. The WIFI signal and digital signal are used for image transmission. The GPS signal enables the drone to locate and plan the flight path. The remote control signal is only used to control the drone.
WIFI signal (5.8G, also called 5G)
Features: high frequency, short wavelength; relatively limited coverage during propagation, making it difficult to bypass obstacles. The transmission speed is fast but the anti-interference performance is not really good.
Suggestions for maintaining WIFI signal transmission:
- Choose a wide flight environment;
- Avoid obstacles blocking signal transmission;
- Ensure smoothness of the mobile phone;
- Align the mobile device with the drone.
Digital signal (5.8G, also called 5G)
Features: long transmission distance, strong resistance to interference, and relatively stable signal.
Suggestions for maintaining digital signal transmission are the same as those for WIFI signals. For drones with digital signal transmission. You can quickly connect your phone and drone using a data cable.
Features: Weak penetration, susceptible to obstruction.
Suggestions for maintaining GPS signal transmission:
- Fly in open outdoor areas and avoid places with indoor and outdoor obstruction;
- Fly in clear weather conditions, as it is difficult to obtain sufficient GPS signals during rainy or foggy weather;
- Avoid covering the GPS modules with labels
Controller signal (2.4G)
Features: low frequency, long transmission distance, good anti-interference ability, extended wavelength.
Suggestions for maintaining controller signal transmission:
- Selecting open flying environments;
- Steer clear of obstructions that could impede the transmission of signals;
- Extend and align the controller antenna with the drone.
The Difference Between Drone Propeller Motors
There are two main types of motors for drones, namely brushed motors and brushless motors. Their differences and characteristics are as follows:
Disadvantages: weak power, low shock resistance, poor wind resistance, high energy consumption, short lifespan.
Advantages; Inexpensive, low cost, relatively light weight
Advantages: sufficient power, high shock resistance, strong wind resistance, low energy consumption, long lifespan, relatively heavy weight (load-bearing capacity), more stable flight, and relatively stable images.
Disadvantages: expensive, high cost
From the comparison of advantages and disadvantages, we can conclude that when choosing a drone, it is more recommended to choose one equipped with a brushless motor. Most of Ruko drones with camera are equipped with brushless motors.
Summary & Recommendations
After gaining the basic tech knowledge of drones, we can have a standard for choosing a quality drone. Taking into consideration the drone technology we have acquired, here are my top three recommendations for drones.
- 4k Camara with Gimbal and EIS.
- 9800ft Real-Time Transmission.
- Upgraded Remote Controller with USB Connection.
- Level 6 Wind Resistance with a Built-In Brushless Motor
- 2 Batteries for 56 Mins Flight Time in Total.
- Enhanced Visual Experience with a UHD 4k Camera
- Cutting-Edge Digital Transmission Technology
- Ultrasonic and Optical Flow Positioning Systems Ensure Precision and Stability.
- Extra Landing Pad Ensures a Smooth Landing Experience
- 2 Batteries for 70 Mins Flight Time in Total.
- 4k Camera with 3-Axis Gimbal
- 3km Real-Time Transmission Distance
- 2 Batteries for 50mins Flight Time in Total.
- Level 6 Wind Resistance
- Capturing Night Scenes
Additionally, based on GPS signal technology, these three drones can achieve functions such as “GPS Follow” and “Route Planning”, allowing you to enjoy more flying fun. When the battery is low, the controller signal is lost, or the return-to-home button is pressed, the drone will automatically return to the take-off point, ensuring your drone is never lost.