Apple release updates for their watchOS and tvOS systems today. Current users can download updates now.
This is the first major update for tvOS 11 for the fourth and fifth generation Apple TVs. This update can be downloaded manually over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV. If you have your Apple TV set to download automatically, your upgrade to tvOS 11.1 should be completed without manual input from the user. This update was sent out to primarily fix bugs and provide a few performance improvements including a fix for a major vulnerability in the WPA2 WiFi standard that protects many WiFi Networks.
This is the first major update for watchOS 4 for the Apple Watch. The update includes new feature like music streaming and support for GymKit as well as performance improvements and bug fixes. Information on the security content of the update can be found here: https://support.apple.com/HT201222 As with all watchOS updates, you must make sure your Apple Watch is physically close to your iPhone, has at least 50% battery power, and is plugged into power for the update to be successful.
Some of the new features of watchOS 4.1 include:
- Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
- Listen to live radio on Beats 1 on Apple Watch Series 3
- Use Siri to find, discover, and play music
- Sync fitness data with GymKit-enabled equipment
- Fixes an issue for Apple Watch Series 1 and later where Heart Rate notifications were delivered when the feature was not enabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing haptics to not be delivered for silent alarms
For more information, apple.com